- an introduction by principal investigator Barbara Flueckiger with a special focus on the development of digital humanities tools for the analysis of film color aesthetics and five presentations (in the order of their appearance:
- Olivia Kristina Stutz on transparency and the materiality of early film colors
- Joëlle Kost on chromogenic stocks and the tension between diffusion and visual complexity
- Noemi Daugaard on the technology and development of Gasparcolor between art and politics
- Michelle Beutler with a comparative study of staging in Technicolor vs. Agfacolor
- Josephine Diecke on socialist identity between French chic, socialist values and consumer culture
In a screening the team will present the short film Lea aus dem Süden (Gottfried Kolditz, GDR 1963) provided by the DEFA Foundation , one of the restoration case studies executed in ERC Advanced Grant FilmColors by Martin Weiss, based on material investigations and image processing developed Dr. Giorgio Trumpy.
The conference will also include a screening of the new restoration of the German Agfacolor film Münchhausen (GER 1943, Josef von Báky), introduced by film restorer Anke Wilkening from the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation.
Please see conference website for further information.
Two bursaries of EUR 300 each including conference fee for the attendance of the Third International Conference Colour in Film in London, March 19 to 21. They are intended as a contribution for travel and accommodation expenses to young film scholars or archivists interested in the topic. Please send your application to Dr. Evelyn Echle, Scientific Research Manager, ERC Advanced Grant FilmColors.
Registration is open, places are limited!View the 3rd International Conference Colour in Film 2018 schedule & directory.